Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Website about me

There are many aspects that go into creating an effective website. So, in making a personal website to help display my talents and achievements, it is important to incorporate these aspects.

The goal of my website is for employers to see my resume and samples of some of the work that I have done. I am hoping to work for Furman for a couple of years before eventually ending up on Capitol Hill. I can see this website being helpful in both of those ventures. With that said, this website needs to be clear, clean and easy to navigate. Employers do not have time to be fiddling around a website; they want to get to what they are looking for and they want to do it quickly. 

As far as which material I plan to incorporate, I would like to include all of my materials from this class. Additionally, I think it would be good to incorporate some of the social media that I have worked on. Therefore, I would like to provide links to the Furman Rugby Facebook and Twitter accounts that I helped to set up and manage. Additionally, I think writing samples would be good for employers to see. As much as I would like for them to read my best research papers, I do not think that they would take the time to do so. Therefore, I think the best way for them to see my writing is through my New Zealand blog, which I would like to incorporate into the website as well. Furthermore, I think it would be interesting to scan in some of the awards and certificates of achievement that I have received. I also think adding my picture with Senator Lindsey Graham (who I worked for this summer), as well as adding pictures from my abroad experience could tell employers a little bit more about me, and help visualize what is on my resume.

There are a lot of different websites that I think could help me develop my site. In particular, I think re.vu could help me create a really creative landing page for my resume and display it in a unique way. Zerply can help create a cool portfolio of my images.

The following are some links to designs that I really liked:

This first set of websites are really out of the box, crisp and have an easy to navigate lay out:

The second set of websites incorporate a lot of color which is something that I really want to do as well:

These websites only use a single page. I do not know if I will necessarily do this, but when you talk about easy navigation, nothing is easier than not having to leave the homepage to find what you want. 

When you talk about landing pages, I think more of products. Regardless, these websites show how important the first impression is and do so well. 

I had not thought of doing a logo for my website, but I do think having a personal brand is important. So having a logo could be a cool thing. Even something as simple as a monogram would add to my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment