Monday, October 7, 2013

The End of the World as we Know it


It is easy to see how quickly technology is changing the world around us. It is also hard to believe. The Internet was pretty much created during my lifetime, yet I am still considered a kid. Could you imagine living without the Internet? In reality, however, it’s really not that old.

Technology is moving at a rate where it is growing exponentially. What formerly took twenty years now may only take ten. This rate will only grow faster as well. What does this mean for society? Could we become too smart for our own good? I believe so. I believe that it is possible that, in the race for technology, the world could completely implode from all of the power.

Additionally, the world already has a problem where some countries are advancing themselves far more quickly than others. Could this divide become even greater? Could third-world countries fall even farther behind? Again, I think so. If such were the case, what problems would the world face? Third world countries would stand no chance against the superpowers, would we begin to see total annexation for world control?

Another idea that Open Sky presents is the idea of teleconferencing. How strange, yet amazing, is it that I can be abroad in New Zealand, yet have my eyes on my home seeing what my family is up to? Being able to have such interaction should change the global economy, as well as business and pleasure for everyone.

Will technology be the end of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment